Saturday, April 2, 2011

literary arts

new books.

you've probably heard that Borders is closing.
i find that kind of sad, because even though 
i rarely buy new books, i like having a place to go browse
and drink coffee at the same time. there is no such thing as too many
bookstores, in my opinion.
but, i took advantage of this sad fact by buying several
discounted books today...if you've never experienced
the joy of buying many books all at once, 
instead of - as i usually do - looking around for hours
and not being willing to part with so much money, 
and walking out empty-handed, you must try it.
buying on amazon, while cheaper, is just not as much fun.
on the recommended reading list for twenty great novellas, 
i got five! (plus two for pleasure)
what do you love reading?

5 comments:

  1. Oooh, The Prince of Tides is good, and haunting. Read it years ago, like probably fifteen!! Was that recommended or pleasure? And I know what you mean about buying a stack of books. Loved book-buying day in college - as an English major. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, definitely pleasure reading. I'm sure my professor would turn up his nose at it:) But i loved beach music (which i read 10 years ago), so i'm excited to read something else by him! glad to have a recommendation from you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my favorite Pat Conroy book is Lords of Discipline.

    As for Prince of Tides, well, I cannot drive past Callanwolde on Briarcliff without being absolutely freaked out. You'll see why.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mostly read nonfiction...but i have a weakness for buying penguin classics. They're cheap and good. I found a copy of Tolstoy's War and Peace for two bucks, at the Borders here in Singapore.

    ReplyDelete